Ten Easy Ways
to Improve Your Health
Want some quick and easy ways to improve your health and energy right now? Then read on.
1. Eat slowly and chew your food,– chewing you food ensures that it is broken down properly before it reaches your stomach and also tells your stomach that food is on its way. By chewing correctly your body can spend less time trying to break food down and more time getting the nutrients that your body needs which in turn will increase your energy.
2. Eat mindfully – appreciate your food, take a moment to quiet your mind and voice and concentrate on what you are eating. Close your eyes and notice the taste and texture of what you are eating. Doing this will also help you be aware of when you are starting to feel full, so make sure you stop eating when this moment arrives.
3. Use the right oils - avoid cooking with seed, vegetable and rice bran oils as these are highly processed and contain ingredients our bodies do not like. Instead cook with high-heat avocado oil, coconut oil, butter (if dairy tolerant), ghee, or animal fats (lard/tallow etc). Olive oil is okay to cook with if the temperature is under 170 deg C.
4. Eat whole foods from nature - our body is designed to eat foods provided from nature. So, try to do this as much as possible and keep packaged and processed foods to a minimum. Natures got your back and knows what you need. Try to aim for at least 5 servings of vegetables a day.
5. Get ingredient savvy – make sure with every single food product you buy you read the ingredients list. Yes, they are telling you the truth on the front of the packets/cans etc, but unfortunately, not the whole truth! So make sure you turn it over and read the ingredients list. Many items that are in packets/cans/boxes etc contain additives, preservatives, colourings etc that are foreign to our body and put a huge amount of stress on our system. If there are ingredients on packets etc that you don’t recognise, lots of numbers, or the ingredients list is long, try to find a whole food alternative or find out how to make it yourself. You can read these articles here about what’s really in your food - you will be surprised!
6. Drink your water (but at certain times) – aim to drink around 6 glasses of plain water a day (add in lemon juice, mint or cinnamon for flavour). However, don’t drink water with your meals – this can neutralise the acid in your stomach which can inhibit food being broken down correctly. Drink water when you are not eating or 20-30 minutes before you are eating. It’s okay to have a few sips when you are eating, but not drinking a whole glass.
7. Get your vitamin D – get outside and make sure you get at least 10 minutes of sunshine each day, either on the insides of your arms or on your stomach as these are the best places to absorb vitamin D (vitamin D helps us absorb calcium and promote bone growth among other benefits).
8. Breathing correctly - spend time each day diaphragmatically breathing for at least 5 minutes. Close your eyes, place your hands on your belly and breathe slowly through your nostrils, down into your belly, to the count of 4. Hold for 4 seconds, then breathe out slowly through your mouth to the count of 4. Repeat. Breathing this way activates our Parasympathetic Nervous Systems, which tells our brain we are safe and is also great for rest and digestion.
9. Get to bed on time – sleep is so important for energy and health so make sure you listen to your body and go to bed when you are tired. Make sure you avoid looking on your phone when you are in bed as this can cause sleep disturbance too.
10. Congratulate yourself - tell yourself each evening three things that you have done well and how amazing you truly are. Because you are! Recognising our achievements for the day, no matter how big or small, promotes a positive feeling in our mind and body which definitely makes us feel happier and healthier.
Try incorporating these tips in to your day and see if they improve your health and energy.
If you"re keen on finding out how to really improve your health and wellness long term or are wanting to lose weight, gain energy and balance your hormones, then have a look at my personalised Healthy Happy You programme here.